The exterior of your property is one of the first impressions your guests receive when they pull up to your home. A beautiful exterior adds curb appeal and can increase your residence’s value if and when you want to sell. If the outside of your home looks a little tired, you may be in the market for an upgrade. Painting your home is more than just applying an expensive coat of paint. The success of your painting project will depend on the level of preparation. The experts at Ciarlanti Painting – Jeff the Painter will handle the exterior prep work to ensure the finished project looks fantastic and lasts for years.
Why is it Important to Prep Before Painting?
1. Clean the surface: The outside of your home gets dirty quickly from dust, pollen, and other contaminants found in the outside air. If these contaminants are left on the surface, it affects paint application and results in chipped paint. Regardless of how much you spend on paint, painting over grime will result in a subpar finish, and you will also void the warranty on the paint product. For surface preparation, a combination of hand washing and pressure washing works best.
2. Allow the area to dry thoroughly: Several products will be used to prep the exterior before the paint can be applied. Frustrating as it may be, you will need to be patient. Your Ciarlanti Painting – Jeff the Painter professional will allow for plenty of downtime to allow the surface of your home to dry completely before applying any caulking, primer, and paint.
3. Scrape and remove peeling paint: Peeling paint is a tell-tale sign that your home’s exterior needs a fresh coat of paint. Any peeling paint will be removed with a scrapper to ensure the surface is as smooth as possible and ready to accept a coat of primer.
4. Repairs and sanding: If your exterior is damaged or rotting, it must be repaired before the paint can be applied. Your Ciarlanti Painting – Jeff the Painter expert will ensure any protruding nail heads are hammered into place before moving onto sanding surfaces to ensure they are as smooth as possible. Once the sanding is complete, dust will be removed with a soft rag and an air compressor before proceeding.
5. Prime: Now that the chipped and peeling paint has been removed and the surface sanded and prepped, the primer is applied to ensure the paint adheres to the surface correctly. Depending on the age of your home and how many previous coats of color have been used, your exterior may be prone to continued peeling. Fortunately, your Ciarlanti Painting – Jeff the Painter Pro has a solution and can apply a primer specifically designed to solve this issue.
6. Caulking: Caulking has an essential function. It stops rain from leaking into the exterior structure, where it can cause extensive water damage. All traces of the old caulking will be removed before the new caulk is applied.
Interior & Exterior House Painting & More in San Marcos, Temecula, Vista, Oceanside, Encinitas, Carlsbad & Escondido, California
Once the prep work is completed, your exterior will be ready for a fresh coat of paint. Your Ciarlanti Painting – Jeff the Painter professional can advise on the best color palette and the best paint and prep products for your home. To learn more about prepping and painting the exterior of your Escondido, CA, home and to schedule an appointment for an inspection and quote, contact the experts at Ciarlanti Painting – Jeff the Painter today.